The Association for Middle East Children and Youth Studies invites nominations for the 2020 AMECYS Early Career Article Award
The AMECYS is a private, non-profit, international association for scholars with an interest in the study of children and youth in the Middle East, North Africa and their diasporic communities. Through interdisciplinary programs, publications, and services, AMECYS promotes innovative scholarship, facilitates global academic exchange, and enhances public understanding about Middle Eastern children and youth in diverse times and places.
The recently established AMECYS Early Career Article Award recognizes and promotes good scholarship of young researchers for their exceptional contribution to the study of children and youth in the Middle East, North Africa and their diasporic communities.
Both self-nominations and nominations of others will be accepted. There is no limit on the number of titles submitted by the nominees, given they meet the following criteria:
- By September 2020, the recipient must be within six years of having earned the doctoral degree (i.e., must have received his/her degree in 2014 or later).
- The articles must be scholarly, non-fiction, based on original research and published in English.
- Articles must have been published in the last three years (date of 2017, 2018, 2019).
- The subject matter must deal with the study of children and youth – broadly defined – in the Middle East, North Africa and their diasporic communities.
- Works not eligible include multiple-author papers, proceedings of symposia, encyclopedic entries, bibliographies, dictionaries, textbooks, fiction, translated papers, and surveys.
- Nominations must be made by August 1, 2020 for articles to be eligible for thecompetition.
Nominations must include an up-to-date CV and a one-page summary of contributions written by the nominee. The summary of contributions would ideally address the following areas: (1) quality of research; (2) relevance / contributions of research to child and youth studies in the Middle East, North Africa and their diasporic communities. All materials should be sent in one email to the committee chair Fruma Zachs (firstname.lastname@example.org). The articles and submitted materials will be reviewed by three scholars. Materials must be received by August 1, 2020.
The author of the AMECYS Early Career Article Award will receive $150 and a certificate of award. In the event of co-winners, prize money will be divided evenly among the winners. Honorable mentions also receive a certificate of award. Winners will be announced at the 54th MESA Annual Meeting in Washington, DC. The results will also be posted on the AMECYS and MESA website and in other publications as deemed appropriate by AMECYS.
*** No additional materials will be considered as part of the submission.
1. Fruma Zachs (University of Haifa)
2. Dawn Chatty (University of Oxford)
3. Kathryn Libal (University of Connecticut)