The Association for Middle East Children and Youth Studies invites nominations for the 2021 AMECYS Early Career Article Award
The AMECYS is a private, non-profit, international association for scholars with an interest in the study of children and youth in the Middle East, North Africa and their diasporic communities. Through interdisciplinary programs, publications, and services, AMECYS promotes innovative scholarship, facilitates global academic exchange, and enhances public understanding about Middle Eastern children and youth in diverse times and places.
The recently established AMECYS Early Career Article Award recognizes and promotes good scholarship of young researchers for their exceptional contribution to the study of children and youth in the Middle East, North Africa and their diasporic communities.
Both self-nominations and nominations of others will be accepted. Each candidate should submit only one article that should meet the following criteria:
1. By August 2021, the recipient must be within six years of having earned the doctoral degree (i.e., must have received his/her degree in 2015 or later).
2. The articles (either in a periodical or a chapter in an edited book) must be scholarly, non-fiction, based on original research and published in English.
3. Articles must have been published in the last three years (date of, 2019, 2020 2021).
4. The subject matter must deal with the study of children or youth – broadly defined – in the Middle East, North Africa and their diasporic communities.
5. Works not eligible include multiple-author papers, proceedings of symposia, encyclopedic entries, bibliographies, dictionaries, textbooks, fiction, translated papers, and surveys.
6. Nominations must be made by August 1st, 2021 for articles to be eligible for the competition.
Nominations must include an up-to-date CV and a one-page summary of the contribution written by the nominee. The summary of the contribution would ideally address the following areas: (1) quality of research; (2) relevance / contributions of research to child and youth studies in the Middle East, North Africa and their diasporic communities. All materials should be sent in one email to the committee chair Fruma Zachs (email@example.com). The articles and submitted materials will be reviewed by three scholars. Materials must be received by August 1st, 2021.
The author of the AMECYS Early Career Article Award will receive $150 and a certificate of award. In the event of co-winners, prize money will be divided evenly among the winners. Honorable mentions also receive a certificate of award. Winners will be announced at the 55th MESA Annual Meeting. The results will also be posted on the AMECYS and MESA website and in other publications, as deemed appropriate by AMECYS.
*** No additional materials will be considered as part of the submission.
1. Fruma Zachs (University of Haifa)
2. Dawn Chatty (University of Oxford)
3. Kathryn Libal (University of Connecticut)